Using the Library
Access to the OCOM Library is available to members of the OCOM community for acupuncture and Chinese Medicine-related research by reservation. If you are a researcher or patient seeking more information about acupuncture and Chinese medicine, contact us to set up an appointment.
Guests who disrupt student users or abuse services will be asked to leave; this is at the discretion of library staff.
Checking out materials
Community members who have been granted access to use the facilities may use books and electronic resources while in the library, but checking out items is reserved to OCOM Library card-holders. Local practitioners (with a current business card) may sign up for a library card at a cost of $35 / year, which gives them the ability to check out up to five items at a time from OCOM’s general collection. Checkout privileges are limited to regularly circulating materials owned by OCOM, and do not include course reserves or Interlibrary Loan borrowing privileges. All fines must be paid off prior to checking out any new materials.
NEW APPLICANTS: You can get a head start by filling out an OCOM Library Account Application online. We will then create a library account for you, but you will need to visit the library in person before your account is activated. Please bring a valid drivers license or state-issued identification and a payment method (cash or card) to pay the annual membership fee. Once we verify your identity and you pay the membership fee, we will issue you a valid library card.
Members of the OCOM community may use the Library computers for up to two-hours per day; at the time of use, guests must check in at the circulation desk. Due to the limited number of computer stations, guest access is awarded at the discretion of Library staff. OCOM students have priority for computer use, and guests may be asked to give up their seats if students need to use a computer.
Guests who have been granted access to the library computers may use library databases while on-campus, and must pay for any copies or prints before leaving the library.
Local Practitioner Account Holders
If you are have a Local Practitioner Library Account, here are a few things you should know:
- You may borrow a maximum of 5 items at a time.
- Fines of $5 or more will need to be paid off before you can check out more materials.
- Checkout is limited to items in our general collection. Course Reserves, electronics (such as iPads and laptops) and materials from our partner libraries (PAHL) are not available for checkout. When searching for items in the Primo Catalog, we recommend changing your search scope to only show items from OCOM’s collection.
- You may access our databases and online journal subscriptions while on campus, but your library card will not give you access to databases from off-campus.
- All visitors to the library must bring their OCOM Library card. You will need to show your library card at the security desk downstairs in order to gain access to the facilities. If you need a new card, please contact us to set up an appointment.
- If you need help with any research you are doing, you are welcome to contact Library staff for assistance!! We can help you build a searchable question (including building a systematic review), access, and organize your research.